First formed in 2019, the mission of the English Task Force is to streamline English pathways for students by examining topics, concerns, and recent legislation as part of CVHEC’s mission: improve certificate and degree completion rates in the nine-county region from San Joaquin to Kern.
Coordinated by Dr. John Spevak, one of CVHEC’s coordinators and a former Merced College vice president, the task force consists of representatives from each of the 15 community college members in the region who are part of CVHEC.
Pre-pandemic, the task forces hosted workshops to provide technical assistance directly to CVHEC members supporting faculty professional development.
Current conversations in the English Task Force include:
- the continuing implementation of AB 705, AB1705 including through-put results;
- comparing the success of online, in-person, hybrid and hyflex modes;
- the student mindset after COVID;
- artificial intelligence within English classes;
- ensuring course outlines equitably represent the desired outcomes of the course;
- collecting and analyzing data to improve student success; and
- media literacy within English courses among many other topics.